About Us

The blog for newbies wanting to build a legitimate custom motorcycle

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Basic Build Strategy

I'm lucky that I work with a gentleman that builds custom show cars.  In discussions with him, he gave me a good 10,000 ft view of how to organize a build.  Here's an overall view of my buildplan:

  • Phase 1: Teardown
    • Strip everything off down to the fram
    • Clean parts that are to be saved
    • Sell extra parts on Ebay
  • Phase 2: Engine Overhaul
    • Motor disassembly
    • Modifications
    • Rebuild
  • Phase 3: Rideable Build-up (minimal paint)
    • frame mods
    • electronics
    • custom controls
    • suspension
  • Phase 4: Teardown Part II
    • Prep for paint
  • Phase 5: Final assembly
    • Powercoating and Paint
    • Detailed assembly
Why not do finishing and paint as I go?  I want to make sure the bike is riding and working good before I go to all the work of paint and finishing parts.  I would hate to paint the frame then have to go back mess it up cause I need to reweld something or add a bracket.

No comments:

Post a Comment