About Us

The blog for newbies wanting to build a legitimate custom motorcycle

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Off the Topic Vol. 1 - Protect yourself and your family

On occasion I will put up a post about something unrelated to my motorcycle project.  Not trying to muck up the site with stuff that my readers aren't interested in, but I feel duty bound from time to time to bring some awareness to a topic or subject.  I'll endeavor to keep this to a minium.

For this edition of "Off the Topic" I wanted to address the issue of self defense.

I believe every law-abiding man in our American society is called to be prepared to defend himself, his family, and the innocent around him.  I do not believe it is the job of the police to protect us, we must take responsibility for our own actions and saftey.  I think this especially applies to married men with young children.  Their is no excuse for leaving the safety of your family up to the resonse time of your local law enforcement officer.

For that reason I encourage every mature, law-abiding citizen to consider gun ownership and training.  The 2nd amendment is not about hunting, its about the right for free citizens to protect themselves from criminals and tyrants.

I want to emphasize the training portion of my last statement.  A gun will do you no good, and possibly harm, if you do not know how to use it, both in terms of safe handling and effective shooting.  I highly recommend everyone who purchases a gun to take a course from a qualified professional to learn the skills necessary to provide for their defense and the defense of their loved ones.

For those in central Iowa I recommend the CAPS course as a place to start.  I've taken it myself and was pleased with the information.  The instructor is a former Iowa State Patrol officer and has many years experience.

For those who want to take a bigger step, Front Site Firearms Training Institute offers the most comprehensive training in self defense I've found.  You can follow the link above or read more about Front Sight below:

Front Sight in Financial Times

Front Sight Blog

Ignatius Piazza in Washington Post

Ignatius Piazza in Las Vegas Mercury

Ignatius Piazza in Las Vegas Review Journal

Ignatius Piazza in Times Democrat

Front Sight in Black Belt Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment